Tuesday, August 12, 2008

WotLK: My first glimpse into the Beta

Last night I got my first glimpse at the Wrath of the Lich King Beta. I won't go into the details, but know that even though I cannot copy any characters of my own over (for the obvious reason) I was still able to create a Death Knight and do a little testing of my own.

I spent about two and a half hours playing last night, but only accomplished approximately 30 minutes of actual play time. I was busy filling out my opinions on the quests I completed, suggestions for a few environmental things, and reporting a couple bugs (like a soon-to-be killed Tauren Death Knight Initiate having neon green hair).

If you haven't read any articles about the beta thus far, let me tell you that there has been a lot of hype about how much effort has been put into creating the Death Knight Experience." Oh, and that's what it's called, leveling up a DK. From 55 to 57ish you are completing the Death Knight Experience. Now, in regards to all the hype, I'll agree to an extent.

First, I'm a Blizzard fan. I've been playing since Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, as well as Diablo and StarCraft. I love their style, their universe, and especially the way they do business. I am not however a fanboi like some people. I don't think every new development is "zomgbbqwtf 1337 c00l!!!!". Don't get me wrong, I enjoy experiencing all the new content, I just don't want you to think my opinions are random and the product of nothing logical, only irrational thoughts spawned from excitement.

So... what do I think of it so far? I think the hype is right. As you watch the class cinematic for your Death Knight you are immediately immersed into the story line. You aren't left guessing and confused (that is, if you've paid attention while playing the game in the past). The Death Knight Experience truly has that epic feel you would expect from the first Hero Class. There's not much more I can say besides describing each quest to you. The story, and graphics and abilities and environment along with it, is amazing.

"But Boyd? I don't care about that crap. How 1337 is the DK as a class?"
--To be frank, it's pretty pimp. If you're the kind of player that has never found your place in WoW because you have been wanting the perfect mixture of melee hacking and slashing mixed with a plethora of spells and abilities that a Paladin cannot provide, then the Death Knight is for you. I chose to put the first talent points I've received, about 18, in the Unholy tree. I will also be leveling Unholy when WotLK goes live. The rune system is very cool.

So, you have six runes. Two each of Blood, Unholy, and Frost. Attacking people with your abilities and using those runes to do so generates Runic Power. Runic Power is used for other magical abilities. Add on top of this using your Runeforging ability to create your very first Runed Soulblade and you feel empowered by the Lich, armed and ready to attack the Light with all due haste.

Okay, this post is getting long. If you have any questions about what I've seen so far, please post them in a comment and I'll answer them ASAP.

Thanks for reading yet another wall of text. Your comments are appreciated, and reading my blog is appreciated even more.

3 comments:

SuperErin said...

omgwtfbbq!!1!!!11!

How did you ever get access?! That must be epix!

Boyd said...

LOL, a little birdy flew in my open window and had a beta key on a piece of paper that he was holding in his beak.

Pete said...

sigh. I was going to leave the exact same post. /beaten